About Me

My photo
Currently I am a student at the University of Waterloo studying International Development in the faculty of Environment. Because of my fiendish behaviour towards snow, and my affinity for strapping a board on my feet and letting gravity guide me down steep pitches, i always believed I would find my way out West for a university experience with as much school work as snowboarding. I ended up at Waterloo, however, because of the unique International Development program that specializes in sustainability. This program will also take me to Vietnam in September for an internship with a small environmental NGO. If a university program can deter me from winters spent in the Rockies, i must be here for a reason!

Tuesday 21 June 2011

MDG'S: goals or proof of statistic?


     As North Americans, when we hear of issues arising in the field of international aid, our go-to solution, (should we choose to react) is to give more, and donate more, in hopes of making a difference.  Although commendable; the amount of aid given by Canadians to Latin America through government and NGO’s, the pertinent issue is not how much money is being given, but where the money is being distributed upon its donation.  The Millennium Development Goals are a set of goals to be used as guidelines for the social development of lesser-developed countries.  These goals are used to measure success, but also to guide donor countries to where they should target their international aid dollars. Initialized at the United Nations Millennium Summit in 2000, one of the MDG’s is to halve the number of people living in absolute poverty (living on less than a dollar a day) by the year 2015. International aid needs to be scrutinized under the public eye in order to ensure it is going towards where it is needed the most.  Using the Millennium Development Goals as a guideline, we should be able to see equal distribution of aid in the realization of every goal—not just the ones that are easiest used to ameliorate statistics.

20091223mdgs-large.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment