About Me

My photo
Currently I am a student at the University of Waterloo studying International Development in the faculty of Environment. Because of my fiendish behaviour towards snow, and my affinity for strapping a board on my feet and letting gravity guide me down steep pitches, i always believed I would find my way out West for a university experience with as much school work as snowboarding. I ended up at Waterloo, however, because of the unique International Development program that specializes in sustainability. This program will also take me to Vietnam in September for an internship with a small environmental NGO. If a university program can deter me from winters spent in the Rockies, i must be here for a reason!

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Noble Winter: what's in a name?

   In Vietnamese class the other day we were asked to choose our Viet names.  I didn't realize this is why at the University of Waterloo there are so many Peggy's, Destiny's and Holly's who do not look as though they come from places in the world where these names exist.  I didn't realize when you move to a different Country, you get to choose your own name.  Some people choose the equivalent to their name in the new country's language, however Vietnamese doesn't exactly provide you with this option.  In Vietnam, names are formulated by words with associated meanings, names like chrysanthemum and warrior.  It troubled me however, that i could not choose a name such as 'loyal soldier,' because Viet names are extremely gender sensitive.
   I immediately saw this as a culture flaw: how can men and women expect to be of equal social status when women are names after precious jems and flowers, and men after ferocious animals and fighters?  I pitied myself as I scanned the names and tried to come up with one that was of feminine orientation, but had some sort of edge to it.  'Noble Winter' was the best I could do, but ideally i would have gone for something more along the lines of 'aggressive lion.'  As I felt for the Vietnamese women growing up under the identity of a precious stone, i wondered the meaning behind my own name, of French decent given to me by my Canadian parents.
   Margot, much to my shock and surprise, the name I have lived with my entire life means 'Pearl!'  A gem from the earth, strung around women's necks as a sign of sophistication and economic status!  After a moment of dismay came a glimpse of clarity: I have been living my life for my entire life named after a pearl, and never, not once have  I felt inferior to a male or someone with a different name.
   A name is not a label, it isn't even an identity, no matter what country you're in.  A name is simply a name.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog - to see that idea come full circle and land solidly.

    ReplyDelete